I don’t give homework in my class, but I am doing mine to stay off of the naughty list! My friend Shawn Davids wrote a post recently asking fellow bloggers to answer questions and share random facts. IReading other bloggers “Homework” has given me insight into what makes others tick. I am in a race with Colleen Skiles to get it done but lost on speed but gained in learning about self and others. As teachers we often complete activities like this to get to know our classes. So here goes….
11 Random Facts about me…
1. I should have been a doctor: Well at least that is what my family says. My father, grandfather and great grand father were all doctors. Grew up spending hours in hospitals waiting for dad. Guess that is why I am a science teacher now.
2. I failed Biology in HS. Yes totally ironic, son of a doctor and now a science teacher. Wasn’t much of a student then. Freshman year was a rough adjustment time for me and my grades suffered. Retook the class the next year and got an A.
3. Went to Kent School for HS. Kent is a college prep boarding school in Connecticut. I was from rural mid-Illinois (Quincy). Culture shock for me really. Might explain failing Bio. Took me a year to get on my feet. Great school. Really challenged and changed me.
4. I am a loner by nature. I tend to like to sit off in the corner of a crowded room and observe other. Often feel like I don’t fit in any one group but friends with all groups.
5. Big Micro-brew fan. SO big in fact that when some friends from college started one, I invested. ( New Holland Brewing Company when it was in the start up phase) I am still an investor today. Incredible how the business has grown. I would be a brewer in another life. (Good thing I work on the other side of the state). This might explain some random micro-brew tweets.
6. A fellow student at Kent was Seth MacFarlane. We were not friends but knew each other. My students always want to know about him. Funny how I feel he has more influence over my students through his TV shows than I do.
7. Experts told me to go into the career of teaching when I was just 18, wish I listened. My grandmother had me tested for career aptitude. I still have the report that says I should go into education or education technology. Instead I majored in Communications in college the first time around. Took till 29 to realize the experts were right.
8. My first car was a 1969 Buick Station Wagon Special Deluxe: My friends called it the Brady Mobile.
9. Prefer fruit deserts over chocolate.
10. Once had a Mohawk in high school. Yes had issues fitting in.
11.Always ask for presents for my children on Secret Santa wish list.
1.Smooth or crunch Peanut butter?
Smooth Peanut butter: Crunchy is hard to spread and rips the bread. Smooth all the way.
2.Where is your Happy Place?
Sitting in the bay at my families cottage on Walloon Lake.
3. Your Favorite movie as a child?
Always loved “A Christmas Story”, must be coming to mind due to the time of year. Don’t miss it every year.
4. What quote inspires you the most?
“If it doesn’t kill you it only makes you stronger.” Was a marine quote that my fraternity used all the time. Reminds me that doing tasks make us better. Who doesn’t want to be better.
5. If you could sit down for one hour with any person, past or present, who would it be and why?
My father. He died when I was 17. Would want to know if I was living up to his expectations.
6. What’s one of the scariest things you’ve ever done?
Well, it wasn’t by choice but I survived a plane crash. Scared the crap out of me. Glad to have survived.
7. In just one word, how would your friends describe you? Your colleagues?
Friends: Loyal Colleagues: Dedicated
8.What’s the best decision you ever made?
Going back to school to become a teacher
9. What did you do for your 16th birthday?
Don’t remember! Must have sucked: I was a junior at a boarding school not much to do to celebrate. Didn’t get my driver’s licences till Summer after. (My birthday is in March)
10. What is your favorite joke?
When a student asks what’s up? I answer ceiling tiles. (Dry sense of humor I know)
11 Bloggers that inspire me!!
Short list of many who write to better education!
Your Homework: Hope you choose to do it!
1. Why do you teach?
2. What was your favorite book as a child?
3. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? and why?
4. Favorite dessert?
5. Describe the inside of your car?
6. Where were you on 9/11?
7. How many states have you traveled to?
8. What was your first blog post about?
9. What was your Best Christmas gift ever received?
10. Describe you standard work attire?
11. Favorite store to shop in?
Your responses will help us know you better!
So Now It’s Your Turn
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Post back here with a link after you write this. Go on, you have homework to do. Thanks in Advance!